Monday, October 2, 2017

Prurient - Frozen Niagara Falls (2015)

I've never heard this dude's music before, so why not get acquainted with a 90-minute album of harsh noise and "power electronics"? Thankfully, this is far more musical and varied than I had expected. Lots of minimal synth going on that is honest-to-god melodic and accessible. It starts out real ominous-sounding, reminding me of John Carpenter soundtrack music but with electronic tribal drums and extra squealy feedback parts thrown in. The second track sounds like that too but adds Al Jourgensen-style scary guy vocals to the mix that come and go throughout the album. I gotta admit, I was drifting in and out of paying attention to this while it was playing (hey I'm a busy guy), but most of it was pretty cool and interesting, no small feat for a 90 fucking minute noise album. The variation and pacing are the key here. I'm probably into the atmospheric synth passages the most ("Jester in Agony", "Cocaine Daughter", etc). After all, the scary guy screaming gets wearing after a while. A lot of thought and care seems to have gone into the production of this album, though. Two thumbs up.
https://open.spotify.com/album/5Pm2WvqxlDttK4hTx1vKe3

No comments:

Post a Comment