Thursday, October 5, 2017

Wovenhand - Star Treatment (2016)

I liked 16 Horsepower, David Eugene Edwards' previous band, quite a bit. This is my first experience with Wovenhand, even though they've been around for over 15 years. But I guess it's better late than never. Taking 16 Horsepower's heavy Appalachian-gospel-of-the-damned thing deep into desert goth rock realms, this is some seriously heavy music with crushing spiritual overtones. Edwards wails like a man possessed most of the time and the band follows suit cranking up some inspiring and powerful rock music. I would call it anthemic, but that would probably conjure up comparisons to some dull-ass band like the Arcade Fire or something. This is just great music, I'll try and leave it at that. And although I do miss the more idiosyncratic folk elements of Edwards' earlier music, there is undeniably a lot of potency to this stuff. For listeners of artists like Nick Cave, Gun Club, Swans, etc, it is so worth your time. If there were any justice in the world this band would be huge.
https://open.spotify.com/album/0Y2QdHxI2AOvUja9jrar2b

No comments:

Post a Comment